Saturday, June 14, 2008

Barcelona!

Yesterday Carolin went back home to Paris :o( and Andrei drove Josh and me to Barcelona! I am going to try to write about as many things as possible before Josh finishes emailing people. Here goes:

1. One of the things Josh and I were most excited about doing in Barcelona is eating tapas. We just did! Barcelona is weird because we had lunch at 4 PM and apparently that´s okay here. Oh well. The best part of the experience was the following conversation:

Josh: (something in Spanish about a table for two)
Dude sitting in front of restaurant: I don´t speak Spanish!
Me: Yay! Me neither!
Josh: Oh, okay. A table for 2 please.
Dude sitting in front of restaurant: No, I don´t work here either!
Josh: Huh?
All of dudes friends: (laughter and excitement)
Dude: (takes picture of Josh)

2. The Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art is one of the key tourist attractions in Barcelona. And it´s closed ALL MONTH. Lame. We saw a funky temporary art exhibit by a pair of Lithuanian protest artists though. The best piece incorporated a theremin. Awesome!

3. Yesterday we stopped at a gas station to ask directions and I decide to take the opportunity to go to the bathroom. The gas station had a men´s room and a handicapped room but no women´s room. What would you do in that situation? I decided to chose the men´s room because I figured I´d feel terrible if someone in a wheelchair were waiting to use the restroom and I came out, whereas I wouldn´t really feel bad if I encountered a man using the urinal. As it happened I encountered neither.

4. On Wednesday we went on an incredible hike through the mountains to a neighboring village that featured a medieval castle as well as delicious lunch. The best part of the hike was that we made a wrong turn despite being given very clear directions and ended up wandering around on some farm for a while. It took us longer to get to the village than we had anticipated, but we did get to feast on some fresh cherries stolen from the farmer whose farm we were trampling. Sorry, farmer!

Okay, time to go!

1 comment:

chafe said...

You should check out the place on the Rambla where there are these small round divots in the sidewalk from transvestite prostitutes tapping their high heels. You should also check out a transvestite prostitute if you get the chance. Another great thing in Barcelona is the neighborhood street festivals where they shoot fireworks at little kids. I miss Barcelona.