Thursday, June 12, 2008

Languages I don't know

I don't know French at all, but I try to keep up the charade for as long as possible. This results in conversations like the time I wandered into a pizza place to get a bottle of water yesterday:

Me: Bonjour!
Pizza Dudes: Bonjour
Me: (look of abject terror and confusion)
Pizza Dudes: (quizzical looks)
Me: (more terror)
My brain: SAY SOMETHING
Me (to brain): I don't know the word for "may I please have some water"
My brain: JUST SAY WATER YOU DONT NEED PROPER CONJUGATION
Me (to brain): I don't know the word for water!
Pizza Dudes: (increasingly quizzical looks)
My brain: OKAY DIET COKE IS THE SAME IN EVERY LANGUAGE SAY THAT
Me: Okay fine guys I don't speak French but do you have any Diet Coke?
Pizza Dude 1: Eh?
My brain: THAT WAS TOO MUCH ENGLISH TOO FAST
Me: Diet coke?
Pizza Dude 1: Eh?
Me: Coke light?
Pizza Dude 1: To go?
My brain: I KNOW HOW TO ANSWER THAT IN FRENCH
Me: Oui!
Pizza Dude 1: Outside!

The Coke light turned out to be 2 Euro so I ended up with nothing. Oh well. It was good to practice my two French words.

No comments: